The successes and achievements of our pupils are celebrated on a weekly basis in our assemblies including outstanding progress in lessons, exceptional behaviour and dedication to attending school every day. In addition to academic success Year 9 are also high achievers in sports, music, fundraising and other extra-curricular activities.
Year 9 Careers Workshop
The workshop was run by Dentsu Aegis UK, a leading media and communications company, and was a great opportunity for students to get a head start by learning about this rapidly growing industry, with the chance to hear from someone currently working for Dentsu.
Pupils had to come up with a marketing campaign for a new app designed by Adidas. Pupils worked in groups of 5-6 to design a marketing idea which was then presented to the rest of the group. Two members of staff from Dentsu (Simone Murrell and Elizabeth Darley) guided pupils and judged the groups in a Dragon’s Den style pitch at the end of the workshop. All pupils came up with fantastic ideas and displayed an excellent aptitude for presenting to a group.
“I liked the group work we did about the Adidas campaign.”
“It was a great experience to learn how media influences the things we see almost every day.”
“It gave an insight into a possible career I might pursue therefore I’m grateful I took part.”
Inter-form competitions in Year 9
The winter term saw some brilliant inter-form competitions take place amongst the year 9 Year group.
The competitions varied from a Warren’s Got Talent Show, which involved everything from dancing to stand-up comedy, to an intense Spelling Bee.
There has also been a psychology contest looking to identify what goes on inside the brain of a Year 9 and a creative competition to design a logo for the year group which produced the wonderful designs below, with the winning entry being produced for real by the Design and Technology department!
Points are awarded for exceptional performance in inter-form competitions and the brilliant efforts of 9MAL helped them to win a fantastic trip to Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park!
There will be more great inter-form competitions this term and another wonderful trip for the best performing Year 9 form of the Easter half term.
Options Process for Year 9 students
Choosing the best GCSE options for students to excel in their studies and progress along their desired career path.
The options process is overseen by Ms Ashe, Deputy Headteacher, and Mr Adams, Achievement Team Leader for Year 9. The steps in the process include:
- Letter sent to parents setting out detail of the Options Process
- Options Assemblies where presentations are made to students setting out the subjects available at GCSE
- Year 10 prefects to visit Year 9 tutor groups to explain their experiences and answer any questions about the Options Process students may have
- Detailed Options booklet prepared by CTLs to be provided to parents and students
- Taster lessons offered to students, including subjects not taught before Year 10 including Sociology, Media, and Business.
- Thursday 1st February – Year 9 Parents’ Evening. A chance to meet with students’ subject teachers to discuss their progress and potential at GCSE level
- Monday 19th February 3.45-4.45pm – Year 9 Curriculum Evening. This is an opportunity for students and their family to discuss the options they may choose with members of staff
- Monday 26th March – Deadline for Options choices
If you have any questions about the process, please do not hesitate to contact Mr Adams, Achievement Team Leader for Year 9, on 020 8270 4500.