Being a dynamic and ever relevant subject to today, Business studies serves as a fundamental tool to pupil’s curiosity for the business world, but also as an aid to a greater understanding of the real world. Millions of decisions undertaken by businesses around the globe impact on people’s daily lives; from the prices they pay for products, to the wages they receive and to way in which minds are influenced for the never ending needs and wants of the consumer society!
In studying GCSE Business Studies students will:
- Actively engage in the study of business to develop as effective and independent students and as critical and reflective thinkers with enquiring minds;
- Use an enquiring, critical approach to distinguish facts and opinions, to build arguments and make informed judgements;
- Develop and apply their knowledge, understanding and skills to contemporary issues in a range of local, national and global contexts;
- Appreciate the range of perspectives of different stakeholders in relation to business and economic activities;
- Consider the extent to which business and economic activity can be ethical and sustainable.
Many of our students will go on to do an A level in Business Studies or Economics and then to University to do a related degree course. This course will give you a good insight into a variety of different jobs that you might be considering such as careers in advertising, market research, human resource management, accountancy, banking, computing, law, retail management and economics.
Outside the classroom
We will be launching an enterprise challenge for our Year 10s in the forthcoming future where groups of students will be given the opportunity to create wealth by creating an idea and maximising on the capital they have been given at the start of their challenge. Also there will be opportunities for students to set up an enterprise club to add some value at the heart of the Warren School community.
Students in Year 10 are given a weekly homework, based on completing a research task, a case study, a presentation, or a task based on the lesson requirements. However, students will also be expected to carry out their independent research into the business world by watching the news daily or reading a newspaper weekly. In Year 11, students will be presented with structured exercises to develop their exam technique and will also be expected to carry out their own research into the business world. However, they will also be required to undertake their own private revision at home and also attend an afterschool revision session set weekly.
Support for your learning
All students in Year 11 are given a GCSE revision guide to support their learning. However, there are many ways you can support your child at home. Firstly, in spending time in enquiring about their homework and assisting them on their tasks. Secondly, by discussing current business and political events prevalent in the news and topical debates. In addition, there are many resources you can purchase to consolidate your child’s understanding of Business theories and concepts, such as:
- Edexcel GCSE Business: Introduction to Small Business. ISBN-13: 978-1846904967
- Edexcel Business Studies for GCSE. ISBN-13: 978-0340985830
- Revise Edexcel GCSE Business Revision Workbook: Units 1, 3 & 5 (REVISE Edexcel Business). ISBN-13: 978-1446903766
- Edexcel GCSE Business Exam Skills Practice Workbook. ISBN-13: 978-1446900512
Also there are a number of websites you may find useful for your child to use: